Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is very nom. Everyone loved it at Thanksgiving! This is a wonderfully tart sauce with a warm bite from the ginger and just enough sweet.
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- Grate the orange to get all the peel. Set aside. Then halve and squeeze the orange and get all the pulp you can. If you don't have a full 8 ounces of orange juice, add water until you get to a cup or get another orange.
- Add the grated orange rind, ginger, applesauce, cinnamon, orange juice and cranberries to a pan. Simmer until all the cranberries pop.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Alternately, you can use star anise instead of ginger. Add two star anise at the beginning and remove with the cinnamon stick.
- Serve warm or chill.
- This makes 8 large or 16 small servings. As a side dish at Thanksgiving, everyone took small amounts.