Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from an old BHG Bread cookbook. I like making these in the fall. They just make me think of cooler weather.
- Thoroughly combine first 5 ingredients.
- Cut into spice mixture into shortening until fine.
- Combine egg, milk and molasses.
- Add to dry mixture and mix until just moistened.
- Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle each muffin with sugar.
- Bake at 400°F about 20 minutes.
Very tasty, but as a previous reviewer said, a bit on the dry side. Maybe a bit more shortening needed? I skipped the sugar topping and stirred in a handful of candied ginger chips, which worked well.
Very old world muffins -- very nice! Made as directed. Serve with lots of butter and honey! Thanks, Maryland Jim! Made for ZWT4.
I liked the taste of these muffins. But they're too dry. I wanted to add some milk at the end, maybe they would have been less dry. Thansk MarylandJim. Made for the Babes of ZWT4