Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from an old BHG Bread cookbook. I like making these in the fall. They just make me think of cooler weather.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- sugar, for topping
- Thoroughly combine first 5 ingredients.
- Cut into spice mixture into shortening until fine.
- Combine egg, milk and molasses.
- Add to dry mixture and mix until just moistened.
- Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle each muffin with sugar.
- Bake at 400°F about 20 minutes.
Very tasty, but as a previous reviewer said, a bit on the dry side. Maybe a bit more shortening needed? I skipped the sugar topping and stirred in a handful of candied ginger chips, which worked well.
Very old world muffins -- very nice! Made as directed. Serve with lots of butter and honey! Thanks, Maryland Jim! Made for ZWT4.
I liked the taste of these muffins. But they're too dry. I wanted to add some milk at the end, maybe they would have been less dry. Thansk MarylandJim. Made for the Babes of ZWT4