Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A not-too-sweet, cake-like gingerbread muffin from Dan Blair's (a friend from work) weekly recipe club.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 cup hot water
- 1 cup boiling water
- Beat together: Sugar, oil, molasses and eggs.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1/8-cup hot water.
- Mix soda and water with batter.
- Sift 2 cups flour, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and salt into bowl with molasses mixture; mix well.
- Add 1 cup boiling water to batter and mix well. (Batter will be fairly thin like cake batter).
- Grease muffin pans (either regular or mini) or line with paper liners (I like to give them a quick shot of baking spray). Fill muffin cups just a bit more than 3/4 full.
- Bake at 400°F for 8-9 minutes for mini muffins; 12-15 minutes for standard muffins.
- Makes 24 standard muffins.
Mild flavored and soft, like cake. Quick to make. A nice gingerbread flavor, not too strong. I ended up with 24 standard muffins and another half dozen mini muffins.