Recipe by French Tart
This is a recipe I have been making for yonks now.....I first devised it about 18 years ago, when I was following Rosemary Connely's "Hip & Thigh Diet"!! It's a very easy low fat chicken dish, which can be pan fried or baked in the oven - I prefer the latter method, it's much easier! Serve it with a medley of gently steamed vegetables, rice or pasta. (NB: PLEASE note, one of the reviewers has stated that she cooked this in a crockpot!! I would NEVER suggest cooking this recipe in a crockpot, that's why it is NOT mentioned as a cooking method ANYWHERE in the recipe - only pan-fried or oven baked. Thanks! )
Top Review by debberd2
This was an excellent dish! Easy, easy, easy! I used 2 medium sized chicken breasts and put them in a Pyrex baking dish for 30 minutes. I doubled everything except for the ginger. Thank you for a great, easy and delicious recipe! UPDATE: Made these yet again, and it's now a meal that we eat often. Healthy, light and delicious! I did not brown the chicken, just put it in the oven for 30 minutes, which is perfect. I did sprinkle some panko crumbs on the chicken before putting in the oven, just to give it a little crunch. I recommend putting the water at the bottom of the dish instead of mixing with the ingredients.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon freshly ground gingerroot
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350°F.
- Select a sturdy oven dish - preferably non-stick.
- Place the chicken breasts into the baking dish.
- Mix the honey, mustard, water, ginger & crushed garlic (and cayenne pepper if using) together in a measuring jug.
- Pour over the chicken breasts, easing them up slightly so the mixture runs underneath them.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve one chicken breast per person with some of the cooking sauce drizzled over the top of the chicken.
- Garnish with chopped parsley & serve with a medley of steamed vegetables & pasta.
- To pan fry, heat up a frying pan and add the chicken breasts - dry fry them briefly to give them a bit of colour and add the cooking sauce, mix well and cook for about 20- 30 minutes over a medium heat.
- Serve as before.