This is a recipe I have been making for yonks now.....I first devised it about 18 years ago, when I was following Rosemary Connely's "Hip & Thigh Diet"!! It's a very easy low fat chicken dish, which can be pan fried or baked in the oven - I prefer the latter method, it's much easier! Serve it with a medley of gently steamed vegetables, rice or pasta. (NB: PLEASE note, one of the reviewers has stated that she cooked this in a crockpot!! I would NEVER suggest cooking this recipe in a crockpot, that's why it is NOT mentioned as a cooking method ANYWHERE in the recipe - only pan-fried or oven baked. Thanks! )
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon freshly ground gingerroot
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350°F.
- Select a sturdy oven dish - preferably non-stick.
- Place the chicken breasts into the baking dish.
- Mix the honey, mustard, water, ginger & crushed garlic (and cayenne pepper if using) together in a measuring jug.
- Pour over the chicken breasts, easing them up slightly so the mixture runs underneath them.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve one chicken breast per person with some of the cooking sauce drizzled over the top of the chicken.
- Garnish with chopped parsley & serve with a medley of steamed vegetables & pasta.
- To pan fry, heat up a frying pan and add the chicken breasts - dry fry them briefly to give them a bit of colour and add the cooking sauce, mix well and cook for about 20- 30 minutes over a medium heat.
- Serve as before.