Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
I woke up wanting these tastes together. The scones have a bit of crunch, a spicy sweetness from the ginger and sparkling sugar crunch on the tops!
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup of cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons decorator sugar, for tops
- Measure the milk and add the lemon juice into the same measuring cup. Set it aside.
- Measure the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter until the mixture looks like a corse meal.
- Add the wet ingredients, nuts, and crystalized ginger. Mix until the ingredients are just mixed.
- Spoon out on to greased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle sparkling sugar on top of each scone.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes.
The combination of ginger and macadamia intrigued me, so I just had to try these. They are good, but I'd like a little more of the lemon flavor as well. More lemon juice or some lemon zest would work well here. It's never specified, but I assumed the egg should be slightly beaten before being added with the milk and lemon juice so that it will mix in better without overmixing everything. I dropped these by spoonfuls (large scoops actually) as directed, but, I think I would like them better patted into a large circle and sliced into wedges before baking. I did use 1/2 whole wheat flour and regular sugar instead of the decorator sugar, which worked just fine. Thanks for sharing. Made for FALL PAC 08.