Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I was looking for a different flavor for our roasted chicken one night and this is what I had on hand. I hope you like it. All of the seasonings are approximate, use as much or as little of each spice as you desire.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) roasting chickens
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika, sweet
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 large lime
- 2 ounces fresh gingerroot, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled (optional)
- 3 -4 celery ribs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F If you have a convection setting, use it.
- Mix the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from packaging and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry.
- Spray the interior of your roasting pan with non-stick spray.
- If using, place the carrots and celery on the bottom of the roasting pan. (I use these, instead of a rack for the chicken.).
- Place the chicken in the pan.
- Rub the chicken with the olive oil.
- Take the spice mixture and sprinkle a small amount inside the chicken's cavity. Use the remaining spice mixture to rub into the outside of the bird. Make sure you rub the underside of the bird with the mixture as well.
- Cut the lime in half, or into quarters, depending upon the size of the bird. Stuff the lime and ginger chunks into the bird's cavity, alternating lime and ginger pieces.
- Place in oven and cook until a leave-in thermometer reads 180 degrees F (approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes).