If you like coconut cake, you'll love this. It's a little involved to make but worth it. Turns out very pretty and impressed my mothers's friends when she made it for a reunion. Recipe says to make the ginger-lime curd a couple of days in advance. The cooking times are approximates depending on how fast you work. From Bon Appetit June 2004. (Reviews on Bon Appetit's web site were good but some reviewers said the cake was too dry. I did not find that to be true.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Ginger-lime curd
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup lime zest (from about 12 limes)
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces,room temperature
- 5 cups sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- bamboo skewer
- 1For ginger-lime curd:.
- 2Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, lime juice, lime peel, ginger, and salt in large metal bowl to blend.
- 3Place bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch simmering water).
- 4Whisk constantly until curd thickens, about 8 minutes.
- 5Remove bowl from over simmering water; whisk butter into curd.
- 6Strain through fine strainer set over bowl; discard solids in strainer.
- 7Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd; chill overnight.
- 8Keep refridgerated.
- 9For cake:.
- 10Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat oven to 350°F Butter four 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- 11Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper rounds.
- 12Butter parchment; dust with flour.
- 13Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into large bowl.
- 14Using electric mixer, beat butter in another large bowl until smooth.
- 15Gradually add sugar and beat until very well blended, about 5 minutes.
- 16Beat in eggs 1 at a time, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition.
- 17Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions.
- 18Divide batter equally among prepared cake pans.
- 19Place 2 cake pans on top rack of oven and 2 pans on bottom rack; bake until golden and tester inserted into cake centers comes out clean, reversing pans after 15 minutes, about 30 minutes total.
- 20Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes.
- 21Turn cakes out onto racks; peel off parchment paper.
- 22Turn cakes right side up on racks; cool cakes completely.
- 23Place 1 cake layer on platter.
- 24Spread 1/3 of ginger-lime curd (about 1/2 cup) over, leaving 1/2-inch plain border around edge of cake.
- 25Repeat procedure on 2 more cake layers.
- 26Let each cake layer stand 10 minutes.
- 27Stack cake layers, curd side up.
- 28Top with fourth cake layer.
- 29Let cake stand at room temperature while preparing frosting.
- 30Insert 3 or 4 bamboo skewers from top to bottom into cake to hold stacked cake layers in place while frosting.
- 31For frosting:.
- 32Whisk sugar, egg whites, 1/3 cup water, light corn syrup, and cream of tartar in large metal bowl to blend.
- 33Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch simmering water).
- 34Using handheld electric mixer, beat on medium speed until mixture resembles soft marshmallow fluff, about 4 minutes.
- 35Increase mixer speed to high and beat until mixture is very thick, about 3 minutes longer.
- 36Remove bowl from over simmering water.
- 37Add vanilla extract and continue beating until marshmallow frosting is completely cool, about 5 minutes longer.
- 38Spread marshmallow frosting thinly over top and sides of cake.
- 39Remove bamboo skewers.
- 40Press flaked coconut into marshmallow frosting on top and sides of cake.
- 41Cake can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- 42Cover with cake dome and refrigerate.
- 43Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Lime Coconut Cake With Marshmallow Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1169.0
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 389.0 mg
- Sodium 588.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 168.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 112.2 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: