Recipe by dale!
Tasty, healthy lentil and sweet potato soup with ginger!
Top Review by Hilary #3
Wow, this soup is really good. What we did was saute/steam all the vegetables, including the lentils, in 1/3 cup of olive oil. Once they were cooked down a ways, I added the ginger, garlic and all the spices then let it simmer for 30 minutes. Then we pureed most of the chunks. My boyfriend said, "Wow, that's like Iron Chef good!" This recipe rocks. And it's vegan. Thank you very much for posting.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and onion and cook for 6 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, pepper, and allspice, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the water, lentils, and rice, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the lentils and rice are tender.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and salt.
- Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the spinach, and cook for 5 minutes.