Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
WOW! This is an amazing recipe I found while looking for something different... A little tedious to make, but well worth it! It can be served plain or is really good with strawberries soaked in wine sauce.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Make simple syrup by combining the water and sugar in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, water, lemongrass, and ginger and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, then add the simple syrup and stir well.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.
- Cool in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.