Recipe by Sharon Shiner
This is a great way to use up beets. I developed this soup for a client of mine, and topped it with grilled shrimp.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh lemongrass, trimmed to the middle white part, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (peeled and minced or grated on microplane)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bunch beet, peeled and chopped (~6 medium beets)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, lemon grass, ginger, salt, pepper and coriander to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-8 minutes.
- Add beets and vegetable or chicken broth to Dutch oven; bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until beets are tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow soup to cool, then process in a food processor, or with an immersion stick blender until smooth.
- Stir in cilantro and lime zest and juice; check for seasonings and add salt and pepper as necessary.