Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe typical of Trinidad and Tobago, found on Islandfave.com. Posted for ZWT5. Super simple and sounds delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup minced ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- chilled water or Sprite, to mix
- Mix the 1/2 cup of water with the ginger and squeeze through a strainer to get ginger concentrate.
- Add the sugar and the lime juice to this. Stir well till all the sugar dissolves.
- Adjust the sugar if you need to. Pour it into bottles and refrigerate.
- To serve, add a teaspoonful of this concentrate to each cup of chilled water or Sprite and mix well.
- Serve over ice in a goblet garnished with a mint leaf.
Incredible easy and spicy. I love the taste and smell of fresh ginger. Ginger is as an alternative cold remedy and this recipe is perfect for this. You can use this as refreshment with soda of with hot water (codd as cold remedy). My children and all my family love this.
How sweet it should be depends only on your taste. If it's hot I would suggest using more soda water and less ginger concentrate. THANKS A LOT!
YUMMM!!! I love ginger! I tagged this a long time ago in Adopt a Veggie Tag and it was finally nice enough to crave a drink like this! Super easy & delicious. I'd almost drink the concentrate on it's own. I agree that 1tsp per cup is very weak & barely noticeable. I measured teaspoonfuls until I liked the strength....1/4c 1c water is the way dd & I like it. :) I think this would be good added to home brewed ice tea, as well. I think I'll just mix up a big batch & keep it in the fridge in a pitcher..... thank you!
I really like this. Very refreshing. I grated the gingerroot on my mircoplane grater to get the full amount of juice, and let it steep a half hour before squeezing it out.