Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
from "5 spices, 50 dishes" by ruta kahate
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 lbs yams
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 small green serrano chilies, cut horizontally in half
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- boil sweet potatoes in water to cover till just tender. cool, peel, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- heat oil in large saute pan over high heat. when oil begins to smoke, add mustard seeds, covering pan. when seeds stop sputtering, add chiles. when chiles are toasted, add onion and ginger. saute until onion is lightly browned, then add turmeric and stir.
- add sweet potatoes and salt and toss gently to mix. cover and steam over low heat until flavors meld, about 4 minute sprinkle with lemon juice and serve hot.
This came out pretty well. The first part was fun, the mustard seeds sounded like popcorn when popping. I followed the recipe closely, and it tasted okay, but I felt like it needed a little sweetness to balance the spices and tartness of the lemon. I added a little allspice and a touch of honey. Just a personal preferrence, I guess. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag Game.