Recipe by **Jubes**
This is a very simple slice to make. It's a great everyday recipe and a slice with a cuppa is divine. It's Gluten Free but can be made also using regular wheat flour (all-purpose flour ) with success too. If you use GF flour, nobody would guess that this slice is gluten free
Top Review by katew
I wish I had doubled this recipe - it was like a gingery brownie. The lot has vanished so fast. My icing was merely a drizzle as I ran out of icing sugar. Great slice, just great !!
- 236.59 ml gluten-free self-raising flour
- 9.85 ml powdered ginger
- 100 g caster sugar, finely ground sugar (1/2 cup)
- 25 g desiccated coconut (1/2 cup)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 60 g butter, melted
- 14.79 ml either golden syrup or 14.79 ml light corn syrup
- 236.59 ml icing sugar, use gluten-free if required (confectioners sugar)
- 30 g butter, softened
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 4.92 ml hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- ***SLICE BASE***.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Combine flour, ginger, sugar and coconut.
- Mix together melted butter and syrup. Then add to the dry mix. Add lightly beaten egg.
- Press into a well greased lamington tin or 20cm square pan(or equivelant).
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Less cooking time gives a light cakey slice base and more cooking time gives a crisp biscuity (cookie style base.
- Sift the icing sugar.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in another bowl.Stir all together until smooth and spread over the cooled slice base.