Prep 3 mins
Cook 10 mins
I was looking for a little treat one evening and fresh out of ideas. On a lark, I wandered over to the Weight Watchers UK website and found this zippy beverage idea. Have tried it a few times and this is my revised version of the original. Though the recipe shown here serves two, you can very easily scale this up to serve as many as you like.
- 1 lemon
- 2 inches piece gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 ounce Splenda sugar substitute (4 packages)
- 2 1⁄4 cups seltzer water or 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup ice
- Peel ginger and cut across the grain into thin slivers.
- Finely peel lemon zest from lemon, taking care to leave the bitter pith behind.
- Bring half cup of water to boil in a small saucepan. Add lemon peel and ginger to water and shut off heat. Let the brew seep for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Remove ginger and peel from the now tepid water and pour water into pitcher. Add juice from the lemon, Splenda and ice. Depending whether you want your beverage fizzy or flat add either seltzer or water.
- Adjust sweetness to taste.
This was just what I wanted!! I used a hand mixer and blended like Rita L and then added the ice and selzer. This was very delightful. I have not been feeling well and was afraid the lemon would upset my stomach, but it seemed to do the reverse! Great Recipe!
I Place the ginger, zest and hot water in the blender and blender let sit 5 minutes added to a pitcher full of ice added seltzer and had the best ginger drink! Thanks for a very refreshing drink!
I just love ginger and this was such a nice way to have it! I have been sipping it all day. Thanks Toni!