Recipe by Leslie in Texas
A classic gingerbread cookie, posted in a response for a recipe. From a 1992 Better Homes and Gardens Classic Christmas Cookies booklet.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on med.
- to high speed about 30 seconds, or till softened.
- Add about half the remaining flour and all of the sugar, molasses, egg, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat or stir in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half; cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a 3 to 4 inch cookie cutter, cut dough into shapes.
- Place 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 5-6 minutes, or till edges are firm.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.