Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is Mark Bittman recipe I found in our local newspaper. This one combines the spark of ginger with the smoky heat of chipotle. It can be used anywhere you would use a chutney. Make a dip, pour over cream cheese, serve with grilled pork or chicken and amazing on a BLT.
- 1 1⁄2 cups gingerroot, peeled and chopped (about 1 pound)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until very thick, 30-45 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Refrigerate. Warm to room temp before serving.
Susie this is awesome! My tonsils are still on fire LOL. If you Love Ginger, this chutney like dish is for you. I will try it mixed with sour cream as a dip, and your cream cheese suggestion sounds great as well. Thanks for posting! Nick's Mom