Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook48 hrs 15 mins
For a festive touch, wet the rims of tall glasses and dip in a mixture of finely chopped crystallized ginger and sugar. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Outdoors Series, Beach House Cooking by Charles Pierce (Time-Life Books, 1999).
- Place the ginger in a large, nonaluminum bowl.
- Pour in 4 cups of the water, cover and let stand undisturbed for 48 hours.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place over a saucepan.
- Strain the ginger water through the sieve, then add the sugar to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, undisturbed, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the tea and cover.
- Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain into a large, heatproof pitcher and pour in the remaining 6 cups water.
- Stir well, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Pour over cracked ice in tall glasses.