Recipe by Vino Girl
From Southern Living. Times given don't include refrigeration or freezing. Edited 12/10/08: I just made these with the following changes - Reduce sugar by 1/4, use whole wheat pastry flour for 1/2 the flour, and I skipped the water. I am not sure what purpose the water served, but removing it made a firmer dough, especially because I reduced the sugar (which took out some of the dry ingredients which would've only made the dough softer!).
- 1 cup margarine, softened or 1 cup butter, softened, if you don't need a vegan cookie
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add in sugar and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon; add to to butter mixture, alternating with molasses and water.
- Dough will be very soft. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions; shape into 9 inch rolls.
- Wrap each in wax paper and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for 3 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.