Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From The Ultimate Ice Cream book. Cooking time includes chilling time.
Make and share this Ginger Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- one 4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Slice the ginger into 1/2 inch pieces and combine with the milk in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove the ginger with a slotted spoon and slowly beat the warm milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Remove from the heat and pour the hot ginger custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Cover, and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, adding the crystallized ginger to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen.