Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posting for Zaar World Tour 2005. I haven't tried it, but it is from my favorite recipe source...Moosewood. You'll need an ice cream maker for this recipe.
- Simmer the water, sugar and ginger for 3-4 minutes in a saucepan, stirring occasionally to make a light syrup.
- Set aside and cool for 5 minutes.
- In another saucepan, scald the milk and cream.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup sugar and the ginger syrup.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Strain the ginger solids from the milk mixture and discard.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and crystallized ginger.
- Return to heat, either in a double boiler or heat diffuser.
- Heat gently, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes a thin custard. It will thicken slightly but should not be heated to a simmer or boil.
- Cool and prepare according to your ice cream maker instructions.