Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A sweet and not-too-spicy hot chocolate with a hint of ginger. Perfect for cold winter nights or as a light dessert. This hot chocolate has a lovely warmth. It’s sweet, creamy and chocolatey and not-too-spicy due to a conservative amount of ginger. But, if you love the stuff then by all means, pop a few ginger candies in your mouth while you’re making a batch and throw in a whole teaspoon of ginger instead of half. That's the way I like it! Adapted from the Minimalist Baker.
- 2 cups milk (I used vanilla almond, coconut, soy or cowâ s would work well, too)
- 1 cup water (or use more milk for extra richness)
- artificial sweetener (1 packet non-bitter stevia, agave, raw sugar, honey, etc.)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (or fresh grated ginger, depending on preference)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa (or cacao powder)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 -3 ginger candies (optional)
- Heat the milk and water(or milk) in a medium saucepan. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce heat slightly and whisk in cocoa powder, sea salt and ginger. Whisk vigorously to incorporate.
- Once the cocoa is hot enough for your liking (about 3-5 minutes), remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Stir once more. Sweeten to taste.
- Take your ginger candies and rub them along the rims of your serving glasses or mugs. Eat or discard; they get mushy when added to the beverage.
- Pour in hot cocoa and top with coconut cream(in Recipe#504526), whipped cream or marshmallows – whatever you like.
Tried this combination in Amsterdam, the shop owner questioned it... but it was so good. I am looking for recipes... just tried a bit of fresh sliced ginger steeped in hot coco.. subtle and tasty.
I'm about half way through my first cup of this lovely chocolate. Used True Almond (vanilla) and the candied ginger. What a great morning warm up and wake up. I don't even miss my coffee with this, and thats saying a lot! I usually keep all of the ingredients on hand so it will be easy to recreate this masterpiece quickly and easily at any time. A complete winner all the way. :D
Wow, is this good. I used Silk Vanilla almond milk and ground ginger, but didn't have any ginger candies or candied ginger -- but it came out perfect. Thanks!