Recipe by Sara 76
This is from the 2003 Chrisco calenser. It looks good, so I'm putting here to keep it safe til next Christmas!
Top Review by Peter J
Yum! I decided to have an experiment with this using a tiny 600g ham because apart from Christmas the larger ones are way more than the two of us would get through.It came out great cooked all as directed apart from I used around a third of everything and forgot to buy cherries so ommitted those. Apart from the glaze I loved the spice blend with the apricots that complemented the ham well. I saved some of the sryup leftover from the apricots and lightly spooned over the ham which is a worthwhile step to make sure the wonderful flavours don't go to waste.
- 3 kg ham
- 800 g apricots in syrup
- 75 g brown sugar
- 7 1⁄2 ml ground ginger
- 10 ml apricot jam, smooth
- 4 whole cloves
- reserved apricot syrup, from glaze
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 25 ml ground mixed spice
- 10 ml white wine vinegar
- reserved apricot
Directions See How It's Made
- Score ham, insert cloves in squares and bake at 170C for 45 minutes basting with the glaze until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain syrup from apricots, measure out 125ml and reserve remainder.
- Place apricot syrup, sugar, ginger and jam in a small pan and melt over a low heat, stirring.
- Make reserved apricot syrup up to 250ml, with water if necessary.
- Heat syrup, spices and vinegar in a large shallow saucepan.
- Add apricots, hollows down and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool apricots in syrup.
- Place a cherry in each half and arrange around ham.