Recipe by Chill
This is a great recipe from Family Circle April 2007 issue. I serve it with fried rice and sugar snaps.
Top Review by Cookin-jo
Excellent! And easy! We really enjoyed this chicken dish and I'll be making it again. I used 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs with the same amounts of the other ingredients and it worked very well. I also slightly reduced the amount of sugar. The heat from the red pepper flakes was just right...a bit of zing but not hot. Thank you, Chill!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a zip lock bag and add the soy sauce, HALF of the garlic, ginger and chile flakes. Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Brown chicken on both sides for about 10 minutes.
- Lower heat and cook an additional 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- In same pan, over low heat, add sugar, the remaining garlic, ginger and chile flakes along with 2 tbsp water.
- Raise heat to med-high and cook until sugar melts and the sauce becomes thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add fish sauce and any juices from the chicken plate. Cook another minute.
- Return chicken to pan and coat with sauce.
- Garnish if desired.