Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lean ground beef meatballs with ginger, lemon and garlic. I didn't like any meatball recipe I could find, so I wrote this one. ("Wrote" = experimented a few times!)
- 500 g lean ground beef (about 1.1 lbs)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 cup gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or granulated garlic)
- 1 dash black pepper (be generous)
- 1 dash cayenne (be cautious)
- 1 dash thyme (be cautious) (optional)
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 5 -10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 -5 dashes soy sauce
- 1 cup cold water, with
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, well stirred
- 1⁄4 cup pancake syrup
- In Dutch oven combine lean ground beef with egg, half of (finely chopped onions, mushrooms, ginger, green pepper) & garlic. Sprinkle liberally with black pepper, and gently with cayenne, thyme. (Granulated garlic can be substituted for fresh garlic: Sprinkle generously) Easiest way to mix is mash into big patty, cut in 4 pieces & stack up; Mash flat & repeat 3 or 4 times. Turn into a big bowl & form into ¾ inch (2 cm) balls.
- In Dutch oven fry meatballs, a few at a time, setting them aside as they are done.
- Return meatballs to dutch oven. Add bouillon, ketchup, lemon, Tabasco, soy sauce and rest of chopped veggies. Simmer 15 or 20 minutes, adding water if necessary to keep them covered.
- Re-stir cold water and cornstarch. Add it and pancake syrup. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.