Recipe by tornadoes three
Recommend serving with cucumber rounds or red bell pepper strips. This is a flavorful appetizer. I have only had the chance to serve this once but I had great success with it. Gourmet Magazine
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, drained, 3 tablespoons liquid reserved (chickpeas, from two 15-ounce cans)
- 1⁄4 cup smooth cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground star anise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 whole star anise (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using on/off turns, mince garlic and ginger in processor. Add beans, reserved bean liquid, cashew butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, and ground star anise. Process mixture to coarse puree. Add cilantro and green onion; process to combine. Transfer to bowl; garnish with whole star anise, if desired.
- *Available in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets and at Asian markets.