This looked awfully good, simple, almost perfect! I made this last night and my BF and I were very pleased with the outcome. If possible, use leftover rice as fresh rice will be too moist. Leftover rice from Chinese takeout works well too. After making the dish the amount of garlic didn't seem excessive to me, but use your judgment. Courtesy of Mark Bittman, the minimalist, from today's version of the New York Times. I reduced the oil as it seemed excessive. Use 1/2 cup if you'd prefer. For a vegan dish, omit the eggs. Originally from chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced white and light green parts only, rinsed and dried (about 2 medium)
- 4 cups day-old cooked rice, preferably jasmine, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and brown but not burnt. (This took me over 10 minutes.) With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and salt lightly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add remaining tablespoon oil and leeks. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender but not browned. Season lightly with salt.
- Raise heat to medium and add rice. Cook, stirring well, until heated through. Season to taste with salt.
- Fry eggs in remaining oil, sunny-side up, until edges are set but yoke is still runny. (It's up to you how you prefer your eggs - I like mine thoroughly cooked).
- Divide rice among four dishes and top each with an egg and drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Evenly sprinkle leeks and crisped garlic and ginger over everything and serve.
Yum! My hubby was raving about this rice. He only really likes white rice, so I wasn't expecting much of a response, but he took one bite and said, "Wow! This is great rice!". I will be making this again. Made for ZWT6
I love ginger and leeks, so naturally I loved this recipe. Very tasty as a meal or side dish. Thanks Kumquat. Made for ZWT6
This made a great dinner! I did leave out the eggs(I had enough protein for the day) and was wanting more veggies, so added some scallions and some leftover bbq tofu. Thanks! Made for ZWT#6 by a Looney Spoon Phoodie! :)