Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy recipe for the more adventurous cooks. Duck is a nice change from chicken. I think you'll enjoy this if you try it.
- Partly thaw duck, pry open cavity and remove as much fat as possible.
- Rub with some soy and ginger and thaw completely.
- Place in deep casserole (dutch oven).
- Add remaining soy and ginger.
- Add water to cover duck and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1 hour then drain.
- (Liquid can be defatted and used as stock).
- Place duck on rack and roast at 450 for 1/2 hour until crisp.
Cooked exactly as written and it worked beautifully. It was my first duck and, thanks to you, it won't be my last.
My first duck, and I was so impressed! Duck is a little pricey in my area, so it won't be a regular, but it will be a Very Special meal. Followed the directions exactly, and will not try to improve on perfection! Defatted the broth and it makes the best! brown rice, Thnx for posting such a wonderful recipe, Tebo.
Posting this so someone else doesn't make the same mistake... Trying to avoid the 300%+ of daily fat the recipe shows, I removed the skin before making this. BIG MISTAKE. Couldn't put it in the oven really after 1hr simmering - would have become leather. Leave the skin on if you want this to work - I'll try it again another time when I'm feeling lean. : }