Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies are large,moist and dark from molasses, perfect for the cookie jar! From the R.S.V.P. section of a September 1986 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. The recipe was requested from the historic Jackson Hotel in Poncha Springs, Colorado.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 4 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Using electric mixer, cream butter,sugar and molasses; beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in remaining ingredients; do not overmix.
- Cover dough and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment;form dough into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Arrange on prepared sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Flatten slightly with palm of hand.
- Bake until just firm to touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on rack.
I highly recommend this recipe. Easy to make and the cookies have a nice appearance and taste.