Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is SO simple to make! If you like ginger, you'll LOVE this. Think crunchy biscuit base, smothered with ginger flavoured icing topped with crystallised ginger. It's from an old Australia & New Zealand recipe book - apparently a recipe from New Zealand. We love it!
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Using a mixer or a food processor, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add sifted flour, ground ginger and baking powder and mix well until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs- you can do this with your fingers if you like, but I do it in the food processor.
- If using a food processor, scrape down sides once or twice to ensure all butter is mixed in with the flour.
- Tip mixture into a well-greased shallow sided baking tin measuring approximately 27cm x 17cm (10 1/2" x 6 1/2") or a 20cm (8") square.
- Using your fingers or the back of a fork, spread mixture evenly then press down lightly until just firm.
- Don't press too hard or the mixture will set like concrete.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- During the last few minutes of baking, combine all the icing (frosting) ingredients in a small saucepan and melt over a low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove the biscuit base from the oven and immediately pour hot icing mixture as evenly as possible over the base.
- Use a bread knife to spread the icing evenly over the base.
- Now, cut the pieces of crystallised ginger in half and space them out evenly on top.
- Slice into approximately 20 squares while still warm.
- Remove baking tin when cool and store in an airtight tin.
Just as I remembered eating at your home :) A very easy to make recipe. A keeper for me :)
just wonderfull, and very easy
Fantastic! I have tried to make this before but my recipe never seems to set. So i have added this to my favourites and will be using it often! Thanks a real winner!!