This is SO simple to make! If you like ginger, you'll LOVE this. Think crunchy biscuit base, smothered with ginger flavoured icing topped with crystallised ginger. It's from an old Australia & New Zealand recipe book - apparently a recipe from New Zealand. We love it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g butter, softened
- 125 g white sugar (preferably caster sugar, but not essential)
- 220 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- 2Using a mixer or a food processor, cream the butter and sugar.
- 3Add sifted flour, ground ginger and baking powder and mix well until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs- you can do this with your fingers if you like, but I do it in the food processor.
- 4If using a food processor, scrape down sides once or twice to ensure all butter is mixed in with the flour.
- 5Tip mixture into a well-greased shallow sided baking tin measuring approximately 27cm x 17cm (10 1/2" x 6 1/2") or a 20cm (8") square.
- 6Using your fingers or the back of a fork, spread mixture evenly then press down lightly until just firm.
- 7Don't press too hard or the mixture will set like concrete.
- 8Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 9During the last few minutes of baking, combine all the icing (frosting) ingredients in a small saucepan and melt over a low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove the biscuit base from the oven and immediately pour hot icing mixture as evenly as possible over the base.
- 11Use a bread knife to spread the icing evenly over the base.
- 12Now, cut the pieces of crystallised ginger in half and space them out evenly on top.
- 13Slice into approximately 20 squares while still warm.
- 14Remove baking tin when cool and store in an airtight tin.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Crunch
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.7
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 19.7 mg
- Sodium 72.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: