Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies have a spicy flavor and a crackled top. I just finished making them and the house smells like a gingerbread house.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine sugar and butter in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add egg, corn syrup and vanilla.
- Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves.
- Continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
- Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheets.