Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
Great cookies, I got them from and English friend of mine.
Make and share this Ginger Cream Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Cream the shortening, sugar, egg, molasses and water.
- Mix in the flour, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 8 minutes.
Ah... childhood memories! I had completely forgotten how much I enjoyed these little diamonds as a kid and was overjoyed to see that some astute person had unearthed a good recipe for them. I used caster sugar (for smoother texture), fresh ground ginger (that's the purist in me) and good English treacle instead of molasses (accept no American wannabe-treacle substitute). Mirj, you've never let me down, and this is no exception.
Nice and light cookies. Great flavor without being overpowering, and soft! However, my dough was a bit wet so I piped the dough onto the cookie sheet...worked great actually!
These cookies didn't work too well for me. I think the ginger taste was a little too strong for my taste. But I liked the texture & they were easy to put together. Thanks anyway for the taking the time to post this recipe.