Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A nice change from the ordinary.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries or 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen cranberries
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges (well drained)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (preferrably with pulp)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger (chopped)
- Combine all ingredients except oranges into a saucepan.
- Over medium heat bring to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes, or until thicken.
- Most of the berries should have popped.
- Stir in oranges.
- Set aside and let cool a bit.
- You may want to put it in the food processor and pulse slightly.
- Cover and refridgerate.
Mom and I have a running tradition of serving different cranberry relishes for Thanksgiving. We have tried lots of fairly unconventional recipes distinct from the canned type. Choose this one for 2007 as it looked flavorful but straight forward. The flavors were really good and the sauce was tasty, but not as memorable as others. I think the quick addition of additional spices would have worked well.