1/2 Photos of Ginger Cookies
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A recipe my mom always made for us. I think she is the reason I love all those nutty spices like ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves - the list goes on and on. These are great with a nice cup of tea for dipping! The dough needs to chill 2 hours before rolling out for cutting - so allow this extra time. The amount of cookies will vary depending on the size and shape of the cookie cutters you use. For a standard 2" round cutter, you will get approximately 40 cookies from this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the shortening, brown sugar and molasses.
- 3Stir in the 1/2 c cold water.
- 4In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and spices (NOT the baking soda).
- 5Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- 6In a small bowl, stir the baking soda into the 3 tbls of cold water; then stir into the other dough mixture.
- 7Chill dough for a minimum of 2 hours.
- 8Roll out dough to a 1/2" thickness.
- 9Cut with cookie cutters of your desired shape/design.
- 10Place 2 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet.
- 11Bake for 14-16 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.1
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 261.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g