Prep 2 hrs 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe, from my grandmother, is very similar to cookies made for visitors to historic Stratford Hall, the Lee family home in Virginia. Thay are great anytime, but especially during the holidays. I prefer them with a soft center, but you may bake them longer if you want a crisp cookie. I usually double this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar. Add egg. Add molasses and mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture.
- Chill dough two hours or overnight.
- Roll into balls and roll in additional granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350 on lightly greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.