Recipe by Chef floWer
My daughter loves cookies so I found this simple ginger cookie and it has no eggs (which is a bonus for me). I've decorated the cookies few different ways. Example: sprinkle pink edible glitters or hundred and thousands or left the cookie with no decoration and icing. You can use what ever shape you fancy. Whatever variations I made with my 3 year old she enjoyed them. I found this recipe in a booked called "The Great Big Cookie Book" by Hilaire Walden. It was in the kid's section of the book.
Top Review by Lalaloula
These cookies are nice basic cookies, which are easy and quick to make and yield a crunchy, yummy result. I enjoyed the addition of cocoa and that they were eggless, yet thought they could have benefitted from a tad more spice. Maybe some cinnamon and cloves or just a little bit more ginger next time. But all in all a great basic recipe, that I look forward to making again.
I made half the recipe and ended up with 26 cookies.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Chef floWer!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swpa #47 December 2010.
- 2⁄3 cup soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soft margarine
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 drops vanilla essence (or a few drops)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour (for aussies wholemeal plain flour)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon milk, a small splash (optional)
- glace icing
- glace cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 190oC or 375oF Gas 5. Grease a baking sheet.
- Cream together the sugar, margarine, salt and vanilla essence until very soft and light.
- Work in the flour, cocoa and ginger, adding a little milk, if necessary, to bind the mixture. Knead lightly on a floured surface until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 5 mm or 1/4 inch thick. Stamp out shapes using floured biscuit cutters and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10 - 15 minutes. Leave to cool on the baking sheets until firm, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with glace icing and pieces of glace cherries.