Recipe by courtneycook15
Top Review by Patric
This is almost identical to the recipe I use. (The only difference is that I use a full tsp. of cloves & l/4 tsp. salt. These are very good. Instead of flattening these I leave the dough in balls and they have a nice crackle top after baking. I cook mine on parchment paper for 8 minutes. I like a soft chewie cookie. Cooking much longer will make a harder ginger snap type cookie. These are wonderful!!!
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350* F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonsitck baking mats.
- Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the shortening and sugar until throughly combined.
- Add the egg and molasses and beat until completly incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and add to the mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Roll the dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter.
- Roll the balls in sugar.
- Place balls 1/2-inch apart on prepared cookie sheets and flatten them slightly with your fingertips.
- Bake for 12 mintes.
- Cool on wire rack.