Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
For the ginger lovers! A lovely spicy slice with lemon icing!
- 60 g butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 30 g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot water
- Grease a 19cm x 29cm slice pan.
- Line base with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup in a small pan (or very carefully in the microwave on a low setting, stir well to combine).
- Combine the sifted flour, ground ginger, chopped ginger, sugar, coconut and egg in a large bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter and syrup mixture.
- Stir well to combine and press into the prepared pan.
- Cook in a 180 degree C oven, about 15 minutes, or until light brown.
- Stand for 5 minutes to firm, then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- ICING: Sift the icing sugar mixture into a bowl.
- Add the butter, lemon rind and juice.
- Add enough hot water to make it a spreadable consistency.
- Spread icing over cooled slice.
- When icing has set, cut into squares.