Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Looking for a natural NeoCitran substitute? Or a hot lemony drink when you're not feeling so well? This has all the goodness of the store brand without the powdery, chemical taste. All that is needed is your favorite pain killer and before you know it, you're better! My deepest thanks to the cook book "sublime vegetarian" for this recipe. I have personally made this recipe for a couple of winters now, it works. My family thinks it's wonderful.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ginger, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 grapefruit, zest of
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, ginger and juice and zest of lemon and grapefruit.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove any scum (bubbles) that float to the surface.
- Add cornstarch mix and stir for about 1 minute until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a covered glass jar and refrigerate.
- This will keep for about a month in the fridge.
- When someone in your family gets the flu or the chills, put 2 Tablespoons in a mug with hot water, stir.
- Let them drink this slowly and follow up with either Tylenol or Asprin.
- They will be better in no time.
I am going to get the ingredients I don't already have for this one. I will add stars later, but I just wanted to comment now for the reviewer that takes blood pressure medication. My Dad takes medication also and was warned by his physician to avoid grapefruit. Please ask your doctor or pharmacist about it, I don't know how grapefruit and blood pressure medicine react with each other.
Great cold weather drink! We dont get the colds, but loved this. I agreed with both previous raters. This was a tart drink, so we added little honey in the mugs. I did use cornstarch, but I think I could taste it and plan to leave it out next time. Thank you for keeper!
In my cold-induced state, I completely forgot to put the ginger in but this was great anyway and I can only imagine it would be better with the ginger. The only thing is I found it a bit tart so might add a spoonful of honey into each mug.