Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmmmmmm Good!! Spicy Ginger Chowder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large zucchini, finely grated
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh or canned
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 (385 ml) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 cups potatoes, finely grated (do not wash off starch)
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken, cut into strips
- parsley (to garnish)
- ginger, finely grated for garnish
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven, add onions and saute until softened.
- Add chicken broth, grated zucchini, sweet corn, sweet red pepper, finely grated ginger, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to boil, simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Add fresh milk, evaporated milk, cream, thyme leaves and finely grated potatoes, bring to boil, simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cooked chicken strips, heat through.
- Serve garnished with parsley and a pinch of fresh grated ginger.
OMG!!! this is SO good! I made this for dinner last night, followed exactly because it is a contest recipe, I think I would have anyway, this soup is absolutely delicious! whoever made this one up knows what they are doing! the flavors go together beautifully and the ginger just makes it perfect! I LOVE this soup!!!
This combination of ingredients didn't work for me & I really didn't like the texture. My DH, who has more of a sweet tooth than me, didn't finish his bowl - and that doesn't happen very often,