Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This quick stir-fry with Asian flair is from the Dec/Jan edition of Taste of Home and was submitted by Ben Haen of Baldwin, WI. Posting for safekeeping!
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, in 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, finely chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the egg white, soy sauce, cornstarch and pepper. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. For sauce, combine the cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar until smooth; set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry green pepper and onions in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add bamboo shoots and ginger; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and heat through. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with rice if desired.
This was tasty and loaded with the bright spark of ginger. I added a half of red bell pepper & a handful of julienned carrots mainly for color. I marinated the chicken early in the day and it was flavorful. Recipe discovered during ZWT9.
My husband always orders chicken with ginger and spring onions (green onions) whenever we get Chinese take out. So, when I saw this one I knew we needed to give it a try. I am glad we did because despite the long list of ingredients it is really easy to put together. As long as you chop everything before you start the cooking it comes together in minutes too. We served it with simple sesame egg noodles. Made for Zee Zany Zesty Cookz for ZWT6.
This is a nice stir fry recipe. This was my first time using fresh ginger and I was surprised how strong it smelled while I was stir frying, but yet it was a very mild taste. Thanks for posting.