Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
My adaption of Jane Brody's "Ginger Chicken and Chickpeas" from her Good Food Book. Not as yummy as her version with chickpeas, butter, salt and pepper but this one works for the Fat Flush Plan, Phase 2.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup gingerroot, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Soak the chicken in the lemon juice (add water if it does not cover the pieces) for 20 minutes. Drain chicken.
- Mist olive oil into a skillet, heat and then throughly brown chicken pieces (drain liquid as necessary). Remove chicken from the pan.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until they are soft.
- Add the ginger, cumin, cardamom, coriander and cayenne and cook the mixture for a few minutes longer.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.