Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is served cold topped with this ginger sauce, which has lime, scallion, oyster sauce and brown sugar.
- 1 whole fryer
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 slices citrus peels (dried tangerine peel, go-pi)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup ginger (finely chopped or minced in food processor)
- 1 cup green onion (minced)
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Clean and trim excess fat from chicken.
- Pat dry. Rub salt all over chicken, both inside and outside.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or over night.
- Bring enough water to cover chicken to a boil, put in go-pi, garlic and chicken. Cook at medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Remove from pot, drain excess water from chicken.
- Let chicken chill in refrigerator, then cut into serving pieces.
- Combine the ginger sauce ingredients together then chill. To serve, pour sauce over chicken or serve sauce in a separate bowl.
Very good chicken! We rarely make boiled chicken, but enjoyed this very much and the sauce is great also. The leftovers will be wonderful for lunches this week. Thanks for sharing!