Recipe by Rebecca Downey
Chai is a pleasant drink for sipping on cold days. Inspired by A nice cuppa (From the Well Fed Network).
- 28.39 ml fresh ginger, about an inch, peeled and cut into 2 pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise (with more for garnish if desired)
- 7.39 ml orange zest
- 0.59 ml ground cardamom
- 29.58 ml honey (to taste)
- 14.79 ml loose black tea leaves
- milk, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the ginger, and cut the cube into 2 pieces.
- Place the ginger, cinnamon, anise, orange zest, cardamom in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Fill the cup(s) you will be using with water twice and add to the pot.
- Add the honey and the bag of spices to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Then, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and add the loose tea.
- Stir while increasing the heat to bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add enough milk, a little at a time, to achieve the desired caramel color.
- Remove the cheesecloth sack and serve hot.