Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Colourful and tasty!! from Heart Healthy Cooking by Becel
- 1 (12 ounce) packagepeeled baby carrots or 2 medium regular carrots, julienned
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 1⁄2 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, simmer carrots, partially covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and continue cooking 3 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large frypan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Saute celery, red pepper, sesame seeds and ginger, 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add carrots and broccoli to frypan and stir fry until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Nice taste, but the cooking times produced mushy, overdone carrots. Next time I'll just barely blanche them.
Very tasty dish, with the lovely ginger flavor. I'm not sure the celery and red pepper added a whole lot, I think you could do it with just the carrots and broccoli. A note on the pre-cooking of the carrots -- if you like the carrots on the softer side (as opposed to crunchy) I steamed them for 20 minutes before I stir fried them with the broccoli. I steamed the broccoli for 6 minutes before stir frying. The carrots really do take that long -- I kept checking them and they weren't soft enough for a fork to prick them easily until 20 minutes of steaming. I used the peeled baby carrots and I left them whole.
We really enjoyed this vegetable dish. I microwaved the carrots for about 2 minutes and then added to the broccoli and steamed until broccoli was crisp tender. The seasame seeds were reduced by about half. I enjoyed the crunch of the celery.