Vino Girl's Note:
From Everyday Food, January/February 2007. The cream is optional - I never add it to my soups. And this can be frozen to reheat later for an easy meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, stirring occasionally until they are translucent (5 minutes).
- 3Add carrots, sweet potatoes, ginger, broth and water.
- 4Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender (20 minutes).
- 5Puree mixture in batches in a blender until smooth. (for safety, you should let the soup cool a bit before doing this, and be careful of any splattering. Or use an immersion blender right in the pot).
- 6Add sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Return to pan and reheat over medium heat, adding in cream if you wish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger-Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 160.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 4.7 g