Recipe by Vino Girl
From Everyday Food, January/February 2007. The cream is optional - I never add it to my soups. And this can be frozen to reheat later for an easy meal.
Top Review by fredbull1116
Excellent recipe. My wife and daughter don't like sweet potatoes but they loved this soup (I didn't tell them what was in it until after they ate). Thick and hearty enough for a meal with some garlic bread and a salad. It tastes even better the second time around. I added 1/4 cup of light cream. Delicious-Superfoods in a bowl!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, stirring occasionally until they are translucent (5 minutes).
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, ginger, broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender (20 minutes).
- Puree mixture in batches in a blender until smooth. (for safety, you should let the soup cool a bit before doing this, and be careful of any splattering. Or use an immersion blender right in the pot).
- Add sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to pan and reheat over medium heat, adding in cream if you wish.