Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Came up with this soup the other day and it was so good I wanted to share.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sautee until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic and ginger, sautee for another minute.
- Add spices and stir to coat.
- Add carrots, parsnips, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and parsnips are tender (about 30 minutes).
- Puree mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Return to saucepan and slowly stir in coconut milk over medium heat.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
OH YUMMM! I was skeptical that I would like this soup as I do not care for fresh ginger. However, I know how healthy it is, so I bought some and decided to search for appropriate recipes to try so I could "get over" my dislike of this horrid root. WOW! This was delicious! The only thing I did differently was added MORE parsnips and carrots (6 each) and garnished with a sprinkle of nutmeg. VERY tasty indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Delicious healthy soup. I will make it again.