Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This traditional Ethiopian recipe is great paired with meat and poultry dishes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots (1/2-inch)
- 3⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pieces fresh ginger, julienne-cut strips and peeled (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot, shallots, garlic, and ginger to pan. Reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, honey, butter, cardamom, and thyme; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until carrot is tender and liquid almost evaporates. Discard thyme sprigs and ginger. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt; cool.