Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light, November 2007
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- apple, slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in molasses.
- Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
- Add flour mixture and 1 cup hot water alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into a 13 x 9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut into 12 squares; sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with apple, if desired.