Recipe by dicentra
This is from Cooking Light. I'm posting it for ZWT3. Germany.
Top Review by dirndlfrau
This was a very tasty cake. The only change I made was that I used hard pear cider instead of the Guinness, as I didn't have any. The cake was very tender, and had great ginger/molasses flavor. Iced with vanilla icing, and topped with crumbled gingersnaps!
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup flat Guinness stout
- 3⁄4 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed (such as Cool Whip Lite)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper.
- Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Place brown sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended (about 3 minutes).
- Add the egg, and beat well.
- Beat in the applesauce and molasses (batter may look slightly curdled).
- Reduce mixing speed to low. Add one-third of the flour mixture, and beat just until blended.
- Repeat procedure with remaining flour mixture.
- Add Guinness stout, and beat just until combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool completely. Spread cake with whipped topping. Cut into 8 wedges.